Famously Free n Almost Always Radically Ridiculous

The blog of a 20 year old Christ-Follower from Glasgow, Scotland!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Age


Last Sunday was a great day for me, the day that I became a man!! I shaved on Saturday morning and by Sunday some stubble had grown in, not loads but still enough to shave off again (which was completed with glee).

Yes, I know you are laughing but strange as it might seem most of us 18-19 year old guys still ain't shaving everyday..... It's quite a turn up for the books because when you were 10 did you not think that people at uni where adults, I did anyway. Yet most at 19 are still physically growing, have hormones flowing and many are just as lost as they were at 10.

Even around my peer group the misconceptions of what different ages bring are plain to see. The number of 15 year olds that wish they where 18 because they crave to be an adult: go drinking, earn good money and be treated with respect. Yet most 18 year olds find themselves sometimes wishing to be 21 because they feel that then they will get the respect that comes with being an adult. On the other hand there are those 21 year olds who wish they were back at 15 because life was so much simpler then. I guess it's the human problem of claiming that "the grass is greener on the other side". The same thing applies for people who are older with the statement "I wish I was X years old", if I had a 1p for every time someone said that.....

I'm coming more to the opinion that we should be happy what age we are. Why? Because you are only going to be 48 years and 21days old once in your life (the age isn't aimed at anyone by the way). You are only going to experience that age once so why wish it away? Every age has is perks and flaws; so being grown up is not just freedom as younger people are led to believe. Similarly, people only seem to remember the good things in the past and therefore forget that being younger isn't all good either.

A wise man once said, "you are only as old as you feel" and it's completely true! My Grannie is 80 odds yet she goes around everywhere on her bike, is constantly gardening and still runs her churches youth group. It's so sad to see grandparents in there 50s deciding that they are old and limiting what they will do. If you convince yourself that "your old" then you will be!

So I urge you, what ever age you are not to wish today away because you want to be some other age! Enjoy where you are now because your only going to have that day once!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home